Thursday, February 2, 2012

Welcome to Thrifting Thursdays

I didn't really get serious about thrifting until recently, probably around the same time that I started reading so many fabulous home decor blogs.  Now I'm hooked on the idea of finding a treasure, whether it be in mint condition at a perfect price or a bit too loved and in need of a major makeover.  I guess it's the thrill of the hunt for me.  I love finding stuff but I'm happy just to look around too.

My apartment is furnished almost entirely by hand-me-downs and thrift-store finds.  I had my furniture and a dinner table that I had asked my parents to keep around for me.  That didn't leave a whole lot of furniture gaps, but I've managed to squeeze in a super-comfy arm chair, a simple wooden chair (mostly for holding stuff), and a rolly chair for my sewing table.

For kitchen stuff, we went thrifting like crazy.  I had nothing, absolutely nothing.  So for a while, my mom and I were hitting up Goodwill, the Habitat ReStore, the Salvation Army Store, and an entire rotation of other thrift stores, practically every other day.  It worked though.  I have plates, cups, pots and pans.  I have a toaster oven, a coffee pot, baking sheets and muffin tins.  I even have a mixer!  That is probably the find that I am most proud of.  It's so decadent but inexpensive!  I found a beautiful Sunbeam mixer that looked like it had never been used, complete with two sets of beaters for... six dollars!  The fact that it didn't have bowls was a bit problematic but I was prepared to wait for the right ones to show up.  Within a couple weeks, we found a matched set of glass bowls at Goodwill.  They did cost as much as the mixer itself but still: the whole shebang for only twelve bucks?  That's beyond fabulous.

I've done a bit of thrifting since the move, mostly just to get little household stuff.  I'd like to decorate a bit more, but I've made a promise to myself that I won't spend much trying to make it perfect.  What is perfect anyway?  Besides, if I'm patient, I can find great stuff for cheap and then be able to splurge on something amazing.

So here are my finds for the week:


My spice rack spins, has little labeled glass jars, and seems to have hardly been used.  There are only two vials missing and I can totally deal with that.  It was half-off an already-great thrift-store price so I just couldn't pass it up.


I've really been struggling with what to do with my bedroom.  I have some art that I like and had planned to use in there.  The style of this apartment and my new duvet cover just don't mesh with it.  I wanted something rustic or country chic.  I finally decided that a window would be gorgeous, at the right price, of course.  Luckily, the Habitat ReStore was practically overflowing with windows.  I had my choice of all shapes, sizes, and conditions.  I love this one and I think I might give it a little extra pizazz in the next couple of weeks.


Lastly, I stumbled across this little puppy.  I have thing for turquoise and I just could not walk by this vase.  It had some not-so-fabulous fake red flowers in it so I convinced them to sell me just the vase.  Yes, it has chips on the lip, but it might get repainted somewhere along the way.  For now, I'm just telling myself that gives it rustic charm.

Cross your fingers for me because, while I was out today, I might also have discovered the best thrifting treasure yet.  I have to go back tomorrow and see if the store has priced it yet.  Here's hoping it's still there and that I can afford it!

No comments:

Post a Comment