Sunday, February 5, 2012

Drip Drip Drop

Apartment 1925 truly is a charming place.  It has high ceilings, plaster walls, and chunky molding around all the door frames.  The hardwood floors are well used but still beautiful.  I see evidence everywhere of the people who have lived here before me- holes in wall from nails that have been removed, a picture-hanging hook on the top molding, little scars on the floor.  All in all, I think the fact that it is in an older building is endearing.

Not so much last night.  A couple weeks ago, I had a problem with drops of water falling from the ceiling in my bedroom.  I would hear the faucet running in the apartment above me and drops would fall slowly for a few minutes.  I told the landlord but the maintenance guy couldn't make the drops happen again and couldn't locate the source of the problem.  At that point, there was nothing I could do, so I just hoped it wouldn't happen again.

Yesterday evening, I walked into my bedroom and immediately heard the ominous sound of water droplets falling on my new duvet cover.  I pushed the bed over and laid a towel on the floor.  Frustrating but maybe just another isolated incident.  Again, not so much.  For most of the evening, I periodically heard the bothersome sound of water splatting on the towel.  The best part was after I went to bed and realized it was still dripping.  Lying there awake, I began to dread the sound of my neighbor using the sink, waiting tensely to see if drip-drops would follow.  I woke up several times during the night, my ears straining to hear the droplets before I was even fully awake.

And it's still going.  Still not all the time but often enough to be problematic.  I don't usually say this but I'm glad tomorrow is Monday.  Here's hoping that we can find the source of the problem and fix it without having to do something drastic like rip out my entire bedroom ceiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment