Friday, February 3, 2012

2nd Time's the Charm

Not every recipe works for me the first time.  Don't even ask about all the cake, muffin, and cookie recipes that I've had go wrong.  I want to become a better cook but for now I'm sticking with the easy stuff.

This recipe for shells with peas, pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes seemed like just my thing.  Quick, easy, pasta.  Still, the first time around, I managed to mess up before I even started cooking- while I was at the grocery store in fact.  The only sun-dried tomatoes my grocery store had were organic and much more expensive than the regular canned, diced tomatoes.  So I decided that the cheaper tomatoes would be a safe substitution.  I didn't think they'd be as delicious, but it seemed worth a try.  For some reason, I chose diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro.  Just for the record, lime, cilantro, and pesto do not really go together.  The results certainly weren't horrible but I had a strong feeling that I could do better.

So, I gathered my ingredients again.  I broke down and bought some (less expensive) sun-dried tomatoes.  I think I probably could have left out the tomatoes entirely but I wanted to try the recipe in its true form.  This time, I was more than pleased with the results.


Just a couple things:
-- My sun-dried tomatoes were "Julienne sliced."  That was fine but I think diced would have been better.
-- I halved the recipe and that does seem to yield three modest servings.
-- I used pre-made pesto from a jar because I didn't want to have too many things going at once.

Yes, this recipe is one to remember.  I love that I can keep all the ingredients in my fridge and freezer and just throw it together in minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment