Monday, February 6, 2012

The Big Reveal

I feel like I've been taunting you (oh yes, the huge numbers of you who read my blog, haha) with tantalizing little snippets about this fabulous thrift store dresser.  This has been a long process so I've spent a lot of time in anticipation as well.

Thursday-
I went to my local Salvation Army Thrift Store late in the afternoon.  They keep some furniture on the "porch" along the front side of the building.  When I saw something gorgeous just around the corner, of course I had to check it out.  There she stood, a beautiful yellow dresser.  No price tag, kind of looking like she just came off the truck.  Inside, I asked if the dresser was priced yet.  It wasn't and wouldn't be until the next day.

I spent all evening agonizing about the dresser.  I waffled back and forth about how much I was willing to spend, trying to convince myself that I had to have a budget of some sort.  I knew in my heart that I would probably jump at any price, even if I couldn't really afford it.  Still, I tried to condition myself for disappointment or walking away from this beauty.

Friday-
I got up painfully early.  Remember how I said I'm still kind of on college time?  Well apparently one way to help break that habit would be to have dresser incentive every morning.  I was terrified someone else would swoop in and buy "my" dresser.  I was actually waiting at the door when Salvation Army opened at 8 am.  Yup, I was that person.

It turned out I needn't have worried so much.  The dresser wasn't out yet and I had to wait for the manager to arrive for it to be priced.  That only took, oh, an hour.  The store wasn't that big so by that point I had looked at practically every single thing there.  The manager explained to me that the dresser had come from a house that had "bugs."  The pick-up team hadn't know what kind- termites, bed bugs, wood beetles, fleas, whatever.  At this point, I was recoiling and already itching.  But I could see that wonderful dresser just waiting for me.  Did I really thinks she could be infested with bugs?  The manager said he wasn't planning to sell the dresser but that he could do a low price as long as I understood the risk.  So I took her apart, painstakingly.  I pulled out each drawer and beat it a bit so see if anything crawled out.  I looked in every crevice for signs of creepy-crawlies.  I lay on the ground so I could see the underside.  No little streams or upward trails from termites.  No odd air bubbles from beetles.  Nothing suspicious at all, in fact.  So yes, I was still a bit wary but mostly I really wanted that dresser!  The manager named a price and I probably should have countered but I had already expressed way too much interest to pretend to waffle and his price was a quarter of what I had expected before knowing about the bug situation.  Insanely low for such a fabulous piece of furniture, in fact.  So yes, I jumped on it.

I pulled my car around and the manager insisted the dresser absolutely would not fit.  People tend to underestimate my Prius so I told him that she's bigger than she looks.  I mentioned that I just moved to town and didn't know anybody with a truck.  So it was the Prius or nothing.  He was unmoved and wouldn't even try to see if it would fit.  I wasn't as assertive as I should have been and went home in despair.  Sure, he said he would put a sold sticker on it and give me through Saturday to pay for it and haul it away, but I was completely serious when I said that there was no way I could get a truck.

I spent another evening agonizing.  I wondered if it was just dresser infatuation, not love.  I realized she probably wouldn't fit in my living room, where I had originally planned to put her, and tried to decide if I was ready to get rid of the dresser in my bedroom.  I wondered how I would find a truck, knowing only a grand total of about four people in town.

Saturday-
I was determined to make this work.  It was love, not infatuation. I would bring home my beauty and sell my other dresser.  And I would fit her in my Prius, by golly!  I put on my assertive, grown-up face and marched over to the store.  Turns out, I didn't even have to worry about the pessimistic manager.  The loading guys didn't so much as bat an eye when I said which dresser was mine and pulled my car around.  The hatch didn't close but the dresser did fit, with room to spare.  I was terrified the entire drive home but it was only a few miles and we made it intact.  My bestie helped me haul the beauty up the stairs and I was blissfully happy.

Now that you've read my harrowing tale, here she is in the middle of my living room.  I cleaned her up but haven't had a chance to move her into the bedroom yet.







No comments:

Post a Comment