Monday, January 30, 2012

Safety First

Well, they say that when you move into a new apartment, you should always test your smoke alarm.  One more thing checked off my list, conveniently done while I was cooking dinner, of course.

There was simply a small incident involving some burned-to-a-crisp sweet potato fries.  I was determined I would make them myself instead of buying frozen ones.  Healthier and cheaper, right?  Somehow I missed the warning that you really should make sure all your wedges, discs, sticks, whatever, are about the same size.  Maybe this is a common sense thing, but I blithely put an array of fries in the oven and then began to wonder why I started to smell something burning.  I turned on a fan and pointed it at the open window.  I turned on the over-the-range exhaust.  What I didn't think to do was check in the oven and see that the cause of the problem was just a couple of the super thin fries.  So the smoke alarm went off.  I panicked, wondering what my neighbors must be thinking.  When I pulled the pan out of the oven, I had an uh-oh/ah-ha moment.  Most of the fries were just blackened around the edges but two truly were little black crisps.  So those went in the trash and I put the fish sticks on the tray.  I was scared to cook them for too much longer because the edges of the fries had looked decidedly blackened and I didn't want to set off the smoke alarm again.

Here's the recipe I used.  It had a great tip about putting the a baking/cooling rack in your pan and putting the fries on top of that so you don't have to flip them.  Oh, how I hate the flipping process.  So I'll remember that for next time, but I think I'll be cutting my sweet potatoes more like this recipe from Our Best Bites.  Hopefully that will eliminate the blackened edges. Plus, I can't wait to try the honey-lime dip.


No comments:

Post a Comment