Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sunny Side Up

Morning after morning I wake up to the delightful smells of bacon, eggs, biscuits, and every other sort of breakfast delight.  At first it was kind of exciting.  I figured I had very enterprising neighbors and it was fun to have my apartment smell of food.  After about three days, I got a bit... annoyed.  There I was, smelling delicious breakfast smells before I was even fully awake, only to get up and eat my honey bunches.  Don't get me wrong; I love honey bunches.  But I was starting to feel just a bit aggravated with that neighbor.

After about day five, I was really longing for eggs and bacon of my own.  Really, seriously, wanting to throw the budget out of the window and go get yummy breakfast foods.  It's lucky that I'm not at my best until after I've had my breakfast.  By the time I would finish my cereal, the longings (and the annoyance) would mostly have dissipated, and I would go on being content with my life.

Then I had an epiphany.  I didn't need to be annoyed with my neighbors.  It wasn't them; it was the little breakfast and lunch café two doors down from my apartment.  Of course!  Why hadn't I thought of that?  I could hardly be annoyed with the owners of this sweet restaurant for making their living by torturing innocent passers-by with delightful smells until they give in and stop by for breakfast in an honest, hardworking manner.

Somehow it's not so bad, now that I know that the source of the delightful odors is a restaurant.  It reminds me that I live in a cozy little neighborhood.  It reminds me that I appreciate the way my apartment building is stacked on top of local shops.  It reminds me that I love the fact that nearly everything I need on a daily basis is within walking distance.  If the price I pay for that is just daily unrequited longing for bacon and eggs, that's okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment